Interesting X# discussion

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
OhioJoe

Post by OhioJoe »

Any VFP pro can look at X# and recite a list of items Robert and Chris have yet to do. OK, fine. But what about all they've ACCOMPLISHED (in less than a year, and with little financial backing)? If I was a VFP guy with 100,000 lines of code and an upgrade mandate, I'd be thanking my lucky stars for stumbling upon X#. Instead of posting uninformed criticism online. (I'm talking about the missive to which you referred, Terry. Not you.)

It seems to me we're forgetting the one person who matters here: the CUSTOMER, who is either a developer, corporate IT director or end user.

The developer wants a smoother path from his legacy language to the mainstream, i.e. VO/Foxpro to .Net. At the same time he wants timely, effective support. Read only two or three of the hundreds of threads on this forum, and you'll see that bugs, performance issues are resolved within hours. And where there's nothing to resolve there's always a helpful bit of code. Where else on the planet will you get better support? Who else has forged farther down the VFP-to-.Net conversion route? (And remains in business?) No one, as far as I can tell.

The IT manager wants something mainstream, which facilitates recruitment, collaboration, troubleshooting and end-user support. X# delivers.

End users want only to get their work done. They care nothing about our discussion here; they just want it to work. Every day. Are they getting it? Mine certainly are.

So Robert and Chris, don't be deterred. You're delivering results. Every day. Carry on!
Joe Curran
Ohio USA
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Joe,
please let me add something very important: I have a lot, really a lot of code.
Neither me nor my customers can afford it to rewrite it all - only a migration to a compatible platform is possible.
So it may be sound hard, but I have no other choice.
And it is only thanks to the X# team that I have a choice!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Wolfgang/All
wriedmann wrote:Hi all,
and what nobody should forget about X#: it is very easy to combine it with actually running VO or VFP applications!
Most of my VO applications are using X# code in the one or the other manner, and I have several X# background services running to connect the data of VO applications to web services or other data.
I am a cowboy type of programmer and I can emphasize what Wolfgang is saying... My motto bite of more than you can chew and chew it well...

I was monitoring the post-VO path and was tasked in 2010 to develop a system in .NET. Knowing nothing about .NET I used Vulcan.NET using the trial version that expired in 2/3 months if I remember correctly. Needless to say yes I had some steep learning cliffs, but within 2 months before I had to pay I had a running system from scratch. That system was converted to X# in 2017 with less than 1 day of effort. Well it is not actually a run of the mill system, I developed the system to actually developed my data-driven environment (dynamic applications I think the VFP guys calls it). I just have to thank the X# development team for the great effort they have put into the product that I trust. Needless to say I have not touched VS 1 day for that system, although I had the frustration to suddenly become a c# "expert" and I hate every moment of it. So far so good, I have come to the ight place and am proud to say my preferred language of choice is X# all the way.