SWFOX - X# vendor session on YouTube

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

FFF / Karl -

Obviously, I can't speak for Robert, but, I was at SWFox 2019 Conference myself, and I saw Robert in at least 2 other sessions related to VFP and .Net/C# integration (presented by Doug Hennig and Rick Strahl). I think Robert was able to see from the speaker's interactions with the session attendees that indeed, many FoxPro people *do* already have a good bit of familiarity with .Net, C#, and Visual Studio (myself included for over 10 years vs 25 years with FoxPro). Many VFP people there are like me (VFP + .Net). It is no big leap to learn .Net (any of them) or Visual Studio.

I like Chris, he is smart, but I do not want to take a dependency on his one-man-developer XIDE (no offense Chris). I want a full, robust, .Net focused IDE, and that is Visual Studio, hands down.
Chris

Post by Chris »

None taken! :) Although note that XIDE is also absolutely a full, robust, .Net focused IDE (and A LOT faster than VS), but it is just not tailored for VFP usage.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
mainhatten

Post by mainhatten »

Chris wrote:None taken! :) Although note that XIDE is also absolutely a full, robust,
can attest having no problem with XIDE, even after using vfp IDE for so long that its clear I am not really young any more...
.Net focused IDE (and A LOT faster than VS), but it is just not tailored for VFP usage.
"faster" is a great feature for this vfp user, as he is used to minimal compile time to p-code and almost instantenuous start up of vfp pcode-interpreter..I will certainly test foreign waters...

regards

thomas
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

Sure, by all means XIDE is an impressive work, and indeed .Net focused (poor choice of words on my part).

I guess I was referring to things in Visual Studio like Nuget Package integration, and the (massive) Visual Studio Marketplace for distributing/installing Visual Studio add-ins and extensions, Database Integration, Azure Integration, etc.

Yes, it is a beast of an IDE, with more bells and whistles that any one developer would ever need. But, it's very widely known and supported, and that's what I like.

Regard, let's get back on the goodness of X#. That's the main thing I want to promote.

Cheers.
Chris

Post by Chris »

mainhatten wrote: "faster" is a great feature for this vfp user, as he is used to minimal compile time to p-code and almost instantenuous start up of vfp pcode-interpreter..I will certainly test foreign waters...
Sorry, I wasn't clear, with speed I meant the IDE functions themselves, for example the editor in XIDE is fast also in very old machines. But regarding compiling speed it is not making a difference, no matter if you use VS, XIDE or even command prompt to compile, the compiling speed will be almost identical, as the compiler is completely separate from the IDE(s).
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu