The future of ReportPro

This forum is the place to discuss issues related to ReportPro, Xs2Ado, Vo2Ado, bBrowser and other 3rd party products
robert

The future of ReportPro

Post by robert »

Chris,
ChrisM post=25681 userid=4618 wrote:We don't use ReportPro and would much prefer that any development time be spent on the RDD on top of SQL (through Ado.Net) and Client/Server RDD.
Don't worry,

This will not be done by the X# devteam but by developers from Italy.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Jan@share.be

The future of ReportPro

Post by Jan@share.be »

1. Your RP Version RP2[ X] RP3[ ]
2. Uses [ X] VO [X ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X ] DBFs [X ]Temporary DBFs [ ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [ X]0-100 [ ] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000 (only run-time: > 100)
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [ X] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [X ] Yes [ ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [ ] € 100 [X ] € 500 ] € 1.000

Most important for us is that Reportpro is continued, as a lot of our reporting and printing is done using it.
As of new features; I would like to see:
- Improved zoom in preview
• Zoom into designer
• HTML rendering
• New controls like checkbox on the report
• Native Barcode and QRcode (datamatrix) etc.
• Each control can grow and can decrease, so that when both are ticked, they occupy the correct area without cuts or white spaces
• Native PDF and XLS export enhancement.
• Enhanced charts
• Automatic conversion from RPT to XML or Tool to convert existing RPT to XML
• Data buffering on temp file
• Data browser to clearly see the content of the data it is processing

Correct calculation of the size of a band when using 'print when' on controls

thank you

Jan
Kuno Egger

The future of ReportPro

Post by Kuno Egger »

1. Your RP Version RP2[ X] RP3[ ]
2. Uses [ X] VO [X ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X ] DBFs [ ]Temporary DBFs [ ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [ ] 0-100 [ X] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [X ] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [ ] Yes [X ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [ ] € 100 [ X] € 500 ] € 1.000
softmanpro

The future of ReportPro

Post by softmanpro »

1. Your RP Version RP2[ ] RP3[O]
2. Uses [ ] VO [O ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [ ] DBFs [O ]Temporary DBFs [O ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [O] 0-100 [ ] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [ O ] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [O] Yes [ ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [] € 100 [O] € 500 ] € 1.000
ic2

The future of ReportPro

Post by ic2 »

I would share Chris' thought too about development time maybe better spent for X#. You write that these are developers in Italy. I guess they can't do any of the many X# things to do.

What I think which also determines the response & low price: we have created dozens of report in all those years but basically the only thing we still do with it is maintenance, like a different address, sometimes a different field on it. Clients have not asked really anything else.

Consider this: sometimes we created some time saving & interesting new function in our software, like importing bank statements which save considerably input time during booking the bank. We created that in the first place because we wanted to save time ourselves. The clients for whom I thought it would also really save them a huge amount of time reacted very indifferent. One tried it and we found out that the structure of the CSV files was incorrect of one of the main Dutch banks (Rabo) while the CSV file of another client for the very same bank was correct. But Rabo's customer service is worthless. I couldn't approach them so it had to be done via the client who pretty quickly gave up (and lose at least half an hour of not-saved time because of that).

Another client sent me a CSV file from BP (Banque Populaire) which did not have any identifiable entry! We recognize the relation from a CSV file entry using the bank's IBAN number which was absent. This is not always correct (e.g. when the relation is paid using a general payment service) but then the user could quickly link that relation to that IBAN and they get a listbox with relations "sharing" that same IBAN when a payment from that IBAN is pressed. Any other info can not be used for that.

Also this client gave up.

What I want to say with this: if I would inform my clients about upcoming shiny extra options with reports, some of them may probably react like "Oh great" at best but never ask us to implement any of it. That's why I would be willing to pay 100 or 200 euros per upgrade but not 500 or 1000 as I may well end up never using anything of it. Basically right now I am only interested in whatever would make X# work more like VO.

It wouldn't surprise me that (at least for the ReportPro part) this is the same for many ReportPro users.

Dick
jonhn

The future of ReportPro

Post by jonhn »

1. Your RP Version RP2[X] RP3[ ]
2. Uses [ ] VO [X] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X] DBFs [X]Temporary DBFs [ ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [X] 0-100 [ ] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [X] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [X] Yes [ ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [X] € 100 [X] € 500 ] € 1.000
rjpajaron

The future of ReportPro

Post by rjpajaron »

My thoughts on RP modernization:

I am not looking for big updates year after year. What I want is that it will work with SQL databases, natively in ADO.NET, like us we are using npg/devart on PostgreSQL. I am happy to be able to use RP3 on that one. I do not like connecting to it via ODBC.

Maybe, 100 to 200 EUR a year will do.

No pressure, I prefer X# to work like C# on VS Source Editor which I am mostly these days. I know, read it somewhere that VS integration is really pain in the neck to the team and it was decoupled from X# main installation.

and more thing, things like the SQL classes on ADO.NET. I am looking forward to this one when I return to FOX.

I know several team members are working on different aspect of the project, I do welcome RP modernization. But, I said above what I prefer it to have and keep it stable, same as it is today.

My team give me favorable vote that we should go back to FOX because they understand that there some our moving forward plan requires X# and SQL classes that can work on npg/devart on PostgreSQL for our core apps database replacement program.

--

Rene
JKCanada604

The future of ReportPro

Post by JKCanada604 »

Good day gentlemen,

1. Your RP Version RP2[X ] RP3[ ]
2. Uses [X ] VO [X ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X ] DBFs [X ]Temporary DBFs [X ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [X ] 0-100 [ ] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [ ] 1-5 [ X] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [X ] Yes [ ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [X ] € 100 [ ] € 500 ] € 1.000

Thank you for all the great work that is going on around here.

Cheers, JK
lagraf

The future of ReportPro

Post by lagraf »

Good morning,
cause I'm already retired I only support about 2 handful of customers using my VO+RP2 apps since many years and they will do this as long as possible. No new customers are planned, only wishes from existing customers are executed. But I can imagine a small amount to support this project.
Regards, Franz

1. Your RP Version RP2[X ] RP3[ ]
2. Uses [X ] VO [ ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X ] DBFs [X ]Temporary DBFs [X ] SQL
4. Approximately how many installations of RP2 you have [X ] 0-100 [ ] 101 - 1000 [ ] > 1000
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [X] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [ ] Yes [X] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [X ] € 100 [ ] € 500 ] € 1.000
STRATECH

The future of ReportPro

Post by STRATECH »

1. Your RP Version RP2[ ] RP3[X]
2. Uses [ X] VO [ ] XSharp
3. As a database you use. [X ] DBFs [ X]Temporary DBFs [X ] SQL
5. Approximately how many people will use RP in your company [X ] 1-5 [ ] 6-20 [ ] > 20
6. Are you interested in participating in an alpha test: [ ] Yes [X ] No
7. How much are you willing to pay for this upgrade. [ ] € 100 [ X] € 500 ] € 1.000