fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Visual Objects

Please use this forum to post questions about Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: I am now on X#

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12729

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
Hello All,

I started porting to X# last December 26 and finished January 1st, 2020. and another 18 days of fixing some bad codes and replacing a lot of Windows API calls to .NET equivalent.

I did not post anymore of my issues because similar issues are available in Search and I just read all the messages and follow all the advices. I did that for several days.

Yesterday, I am about to post possible bugs on CreateOrder and SetOrderCondition but in the process of preparing a sample data, the bug did not manifest on it. I realized it was my code.

In some instances CreateOrder will fail if the expression contain a field that have matching DEFINE constant. So, I rewrite the constant and CreateOrder now works perfectly.

Still have issues on ReportPro that says :You must call the ReportProInit() to function..... I have no idea if it is ReportPro's message or mine but I turn off ReportPro init on purpose to minimize compile errors. Time to start ReportPro.

So, I have so many things to do on testing but the most difficult have passed already.

I am all-in on X# and expect my re-FOX membership to follow... I have to say goodbye to VO, but I discovered so many bad codes (thanks to X#) and I will fix it on VO to allow our clients to continue on VO apps for awhile while am still on ALPHA testing mode.

I have no idea why it works on VO, it is really a bad code and I can see my stupid self. Feeling like a time travel. "this code is written by an idiot. chances are that same idiot was me".
--

Rene

PS: I am about to start on Blazor (Server), I will try to use some code on X#. This will works.
--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12730

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
and I will tweet Ginny about my journey. I told her last year that I will move to .NET with X# on 2020. She said to me that she is planning say goodbye to VO on 2020 as well. I told her that X# have a a native runtime. She wish me luck and now that I passed that difficult stage already, she deserved an update from me.

rjpajaron wrote: Hello All,

I started porting to X# last December 26 and finished January 1st, 2020. and another 18 days of fixing some bad codes and replacing a lot of Windows API calls to .NET equivalent.

I did not post anymore of my issues because similar issues are available in Search and I just read all the messages and follow all the advices. I did that for several days.

Yesterday, I am about to post possible bugs on CreateOrder and SetOrderCondition but in the process of preparing a sample data, the bug did not manifest on it. I realized it was my code.

In some instances CreateOrder will fail if the expression contain a field that have matching DEFINE constant. So, I rewrite the constant and CreateOrder now works perfectly.

Still have issues on ReportPro that says :You must call the ReportProInit() to function..... I have no idea if it is ReportPro's message or mine but I turn off ReportPro init on purpose to minimize compile errors. Time to start ReportPro.

So, I have so many things to do on testing but the most difficult have passed already.

I am all-in on X# and expect my re-FOX membership to follow... I have to say goodbye to VO, but I discovered so many bad codes (thanks to X#) and I will fix it on VO to allow our clients to continue on VO apps for awhile while am still on ALPHA testing mode.

I have no idea why it works on VO, it is really a bad code and I can see my stupid self. Feeling like a time travel. "this code is written by an idiot. chances are that same idiot was me".
--

Rene

PS: I am about to start on Blazor (Server), I will try to use some code on X#. This will works.

--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12732

  robert's Avatar robert Offline Posts: 1502
Rene,
That is excellent news.
And also very smart that you fix the problems that X# finds in the VO code as well.
Btw we are working on a new version of Rp2 for X# that makes the conversion a bit easier

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12734

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
Thanks Robert....
--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12745

  Chris's Avatar Chris Offline Posts: 1668
...and let me say that you are not alone in thinking about how bad some of your code was in VO etc. I had the same experience a couple weeks ago when I tested my old VO app in X#, I really could not believe how some parts of this program were working in VO before :)
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12755

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
While were here, is the new ReportPro (RP354Xs210) alrready ADS ready? My apps is expecting a "AXDBFCDX" something, it appears this is the issue of ReportPro here. What RDD I need to put to make it connect to ADS server? Right now, it has no RDD files at all.

-

Chris wrote: ...and let me say that you are not alone in thinking about how bad some of your code was in VO etc. I had the same experience a couple weeks ago when I tested my old VO app in X#, I really could not believe how some parts of this program were working in VO before :)

--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12756

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
Sample screenshot.

I attempted to create new report and try using Advantage

rjpajaron wrote: While were here, is the new ReportPro (RP354Xs210) alrready ADS ready? My apps is expecting a "AXDBFCDX" something, it appears this is the issue of ReportPro here. What RDD I need to put to make it connect to ADS server? Right now, it has no RDD files at all.

-

Chris wrote: ...and let me say that you are not alone in thinking about how bad some of your code was in VO etc. I had the same experience a couple weeks ago when I tested my old VO app in X#, I really could not believe how some parts of this program were working in VO before :)

--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12758

  robert's Avatar robert Offline Posts: 1502
Rene,

What is in the [DataDrivers] section inside your RPWIN.INI ?

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 1 week ago #12759

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
Hi Robert,

Thanks for reply.

[DataDrivers] section of RPWIN,INI is empty.


robert wrote: Rene,

What is in the [DataDrivers] section inside your RPWIN.INI ?

Robert

--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 3 days ago #12872

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
Hi Robert,

Can you confirm that this is the bug?

Thanks,

Rene

rjpajaron wrote: Hi Robert,

Thanks for reply.

[DataDrivers] section of RPWIN,INI is empty.


robert wrote: Rene,

What is in the [DataDrivers] section inside your RPWIN.INI ?

Robert

--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 3 days ago #12875

  robert's Avatar robert Offline Posts: 1502
Rene,
To be honest, I have not tried RP3 with our Advantage RDD yet.
So I can not conform not deny it. But I think the problem is that ReportPro expects that the Advantage RDD is in a file "AdvantageRDD.DLL".
I suspect that we may have to change that inside ReportPro 3.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am now on X# 1 month 3 days ago #12879

  rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 249
I made an exhaustive test in my end, both on ReportPro app and my code which uses same DLLs, both are consistent of the inability of ReportPro to load files on ADS, but it did work when switching to to plain CDX RDD.

robert wrote: Rene,
To be honest, I have not tried RP3 with our Advantage RDD yet.
So I can not conform not deny it. But I think the problem is that ReportPro expects that the Advantage RDD is in a file "AdvantageRDD.DLL".
I suspect that we may have to change that inside ReportPro 3.

Robert

--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1