fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC:

VS Message after typing 08 Dec 2019 20:22 #12116

  • Frank Müßner's Avatar

  • Frank Müßner

  • Topic Author


  • Posts: 187
  • Hello Robert,

    sometimes, not often, i get Message from VS 2019 16.3.7 with X# 2.1.0.0
    after typing some chars. See Attachment.
    After this is show, i can not open any WinForm Editor. Restart VS solves the Problem.

    Other Question,
    VO Form Designer when click "Inherit from Class" there are no Classes show.
    Same "Smal/Large Icon"
    Is this not implemented now?

    Frank
    Attachments:

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 09 Dec 2019 01:19 #12118

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • Hi Frank,

    Sorry I did not understand what the screenshot shows, seems it was not fully uploaded? (half of it is empty). Can you please send again, or if it is already the correct one, can you further explain where is the cursor, what you typed etc?

    About the "Inherit From" not displaying entries, I see this as well, it's a bug indeed. We'll look into it, thanks!
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 09 Dec 2019 07:07 #12119

  • Karl-Heinz's Avatar

  • Karl-Heinz


  • Posts: 585
  • Hi Chris,

    i think it´s about the message below the toolbar. Translated: the extension "xsharp vs project system" slows down the input.

    regards
    Karl-Heinz

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 09 Dec 2019 07:49 #12120

  • Frank Müßner's Avatar

  • Frank Müßner

  • Topic Author


  • Posts: 187
  • Thank you Karl-Heinz for translation :-)

    @Chris
    the screen show not the time when this message was the first time show.
    I have write test code "Class myclass inherit Datawindow"
    end when then typing END directly after typing this, the Message was show.

    I can not reproduce this after restart from VS with the same code typing.

    I have this on two different PC see

    Frank

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 09 Dec 2019 09:29 #12124

  • robert's Avatar

  • robert


  • Posts: 1793
  • Frank.

    Are you referring to the yellow bar on top, which is called "Gold Bar" by MS internally, but the rest of the world calls it the "bar of shame" ?
    We are aware that we are sometimes shown there and there is not much we can do there.
    Unfortunately Microsoft thinks that the world only uses C# and VB and that all the other people that are producing extensions for VS are writing extensions to the C# and VB project systems, and so they can be disabled without loosing much functionality. Of course that does not apply to a project system or language service, because disabling that will result in the language no longer being available in VS.

    Even their own project systems are sometimes a bit sluggish (for example try to open the master solution in VS and grab a coffee or two) but the team responsible for this "bar of shame" has apparently been told to never list the C# or VB Project system there.

    In the last build we have moved away from the Synchronous API for VS to the Asynchronous API. That has helped somewhat but is still not enough.
    We do whatever we can to improve our speed, but it is more difficult than you realize.

    Robert
    XSharp Development Team
    The Netherlands

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 29 Dec 2019 17:02 #12387

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • robert wrote: Frank.

    Are you referring to the yellow bar on top, which is called "Gold Bar" by MS internally, but the rest of the world calls it the "bar of shame" ?
    We are aware that we are sometimes shown there and there is not much we can do there.
    Unfortunately Microsoft thinks that the world only uses C# and VB and that all the other people that are producing extensions for VS are writing extensions to the C# and VB project systems, and so they can be disabled without loosing much functionality. Of course that does not apply to a project system or language service, because disabling that will result in the language no longer being available in VS.

    Even their own project systems are sometimes a bit sluggish (for example try to open the master solution in VS and grab a coffee or two) but the team responsible for this "bar of shame" has apparently been told to never list the C# or VB Project system there.

    In the last build we have moved away from the Synchronous API for VS to the Asynchronous API. That has helped somewhat but is still not enough.
    We do whatever we can to improve our speed, but it is more difficult than you realize.

    Robert


    Even Telerik got this "yellow bar warning" saying that it is slowing VS down....

    I am observing it on VS 2019. Wish to go back to VS 2015... but darn, I love 2019 already.
    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 29 Dec 2019 18:46 #12391

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • Rene, I think it's best to just ignore this message. Also c# slows down VS, but it is hardcoded to not report this (ignores it in other words...).
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 08:15 #12436

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • Chris wrote: Rene, I think it's best to just ignore this message. Also c# slows down VS, but it is hardcoded to not report this (ignores it in other words...).


    I am now in the last 10 projects (60+ completed to clean build).

    Right now, I am frustrated for the slowness of VS on X#. I do not have this on my existing large projects on C#.
    IntelliSense on X# is hit and miss but I can work w/out that.

    But I am fast typer. Right now, I type random letters and numbers on VS code editor on X# and its funny to see it churning out letters after a minute of my rapid typing stops.

    I need to know is there anything I need to do to make it work. Can we turn off IntelliSense and Allow me to type as fast as I can? I have lots code to fix on X# from VO. Darn.... VO is great but terribly missing a lots of bad codes.

    --

    Rene
    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 08:29 #12438

  • lumberjack's Avatar

  • lumberjack


  • Posts: 687
  • rjpajaron wrote: Right now, I am frustrated for the slowness of VS on X#. I do not have this on my existing large projects on C#.
    IntelliSense on X# is hit and miss but I can work w/out that.

    I need to know is there anything I need to do to make it work. Can we turn off IntelliSense and Allow me to type as fast as I can? I have lots code to fix on X# from VO. Darn.... VO is great but terribly missing a lots of bad codes.

    Well you can always reference those .PRG files from XIDE and have the code produced before you even hit the keyboard... :cheer:
    ______________________
    Johan Nel
    George, South Africa

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 09:35 #12442

  • robert's Avatar

  • robert


  • Posts: 1793
  • Rene,

    rjpajaron wrote: [

    I am now in the last 10 projects (60+ completed to clean build).


    Do you have C# solutions with 70 projects ?
    I don't think so.

    Robert
    XSharp Development Team
    The Netherlands

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 11:01 #12444

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • Hi Rene,

    Do you have the option "Text Editor->XSharp->Intellisense->Show completion list after a character is typed" enabled? If yes, disable it and see if it improves things.
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 11:09 #12445

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • Hi Johan,

    I will do that now. I am frustrated really...., I have 10+ more projects to cleanly build and I want to remove all warnings that runs thousands, mostly harmless but eyesore to me.

    --

    Rene
    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 11:12 #12446

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • Chris wrote: Hi Rene,

    Do you have the option "Text Editor->XSharp->Intellisense->Show completion list after a character is typed" enabled? If yes, disable it and see if it improves things.


    It does improve a lot...
    I will have this for this moment while you guys figure out X# IntelliSense experience on VS 2017. to match that of C#.

    I am tempted to try VS 2017 if this really a problematic on 2019.

    Thanks Chris..
    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 11:30 #12447

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • robert wrote: Rene,

    rjpajaron wrote: [

    I am now in the last 10 projects (60+ completed to clean build).


    In 4 solutions. the CoreLib have 33+ mostly smaller, some are large. Actually I have here 75 AEF. It follows my VO dev flow. But some projects are not required anymore. I just ported it for experimentation. It will be remove later.

    It is quite tiring that I did this for the last 5 days straight. Frustrate by code editor that stutter at some moments and many more that I have taken for granted in C#.


    Do you have C# solutions with 70 projects ?
    I don't think so.

    Robert

    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 15:15 #12448

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • rjpajaron wrote:

    Chris wrote: Hi Rene,

    Do you have the option "Text Editor->XSharp->Intellisense->Show completion list after a character is typed" enabled? If yes, disable it and see if it improves things.


    It does improve a lot...
    I will have this for this moment while you guys figure out X# IntelliSense experience on VS 2017. to match that of C#.

    I am tempted to try VS 2017 if this really a problematic on 2019.

    Thanks Chris..


    The option I suggested does not turn off intellisense, it only turns off one specific intellisense feature which indeed causes some slowness. Intellisense in X# for VS in general has been improved immensely in the last months, both regarding speed and available features. There's still indeed a lot of room for improvement, this is a process that will keep going in the next months as well. And of course any support we get from you guys for X# greatly helps in that direction.
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 15:26 #12449

  • rjpajaron's Avatar

  • rjpajaron


  • Posts: 249
  • Soon, you will hear me as a fox....
    --

    Rene Pajaron

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 02 Jan 2020 15:36 #12450

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • rjpajaron wrote: Soon, you will hear me as a fox....


    Thanks! I just hope not literally! :)
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 07 Jan 2020 20:44 #12467

  • ic2's Avatar

  • ic2


  • Posts: 728
  • Hello Chris,

    Do you have the option "Text Editor->XSharp->Intellisense->Show completion list after a character is typed" enabled? If yes, disable it and see if it improves things.


    As you know I am very allergic to everything which is worse in VS/.Net/X# compared to VO.

    Do I understand correctly about slowing programming down that:
    1 It does not happen in VS 2017? (I still haven't updated VS to VS 2019 and this sound like a good reason to not update at all, but I do like the CodeLense of VS 2019)
    2 The problem is also mainly solved with the above setting? But which Intellisense functionality stops working then?

    Dick

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    VS Message after typing 07 Jan 2020 21:56 #12469

  • Chris's Avatar

  • Chris


  • Posts: 2038
  • Hi Dick,

    That depends on your PC specs, solution size etc, but is common to all VS versions. It's a test it and decide thing, try it with this option enabled, then disabled and see what feels better to you.
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

    Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

    • Page:
    • 1