there is something to say: the Stelvio (or Stilfser Joch in German <g>) is very high, and when the Giro D'Italia passes there, often they need to put the snow aside to open it for the traffic.
But now, in July, there should be not problem (but I have seen it snowing there also in August).
P.S. you can look at these images: Timmelsjoch this year (took more that 4 weeks of work!): www.timmelsjoch.com/de/news-detail/Die+S...umung+hat+begonnen./
There are similar pictures of the Gavia from may. The Giro organisators had to cancel the Gavia climb because of too much snow and the risk of avalanches. 2016 they had more luck because the riders could even cross the french/italian Col d'Agnel
Chris wrote: Well, with how the weather is totally messed up nowadays, you never know
That you can say again. This year the prestigious Cape Argus Cycle Tour (45000 entrants individually timed) was cancelled for the first time ever due to strong winds (100km/h +) here in SA. It is the last day of the Giro del Capo and these guys who starts first were blown off their bicycles 10km into the race and the organisers immediately cancelled the whole day's events. Included some not so recent pictures of the event.
George, South Africa
this year was very strange her: May was ways to cold - in the middle of May when hiking with my dog I encountered about 1m of snow below the height of 2.000m - in places where I normally don't see snow after March.
Then in June we had temperatures near to 40 degree Celsius (the hottest June ever, and near to the alltime high), and very high water in the rivers.
But now, July is back to normality - but previsions for the next week say that the heat will come back.
I am not sure if we will get there. Our plan is:
- We stay in Male and from there the bus to Piazzola di Rabbi
- Hike to Rifugio Lago Corvo (2425m)
- Hike to Rifugio Silvio Dorigoni (2437m) (Cima Collecchhio, Giogo Nero Pass)
- Hike to Rifugio Nino Corsi (2265m) (Passo Saent , 3000m)
- Hike to Rifugio Larcher (2608m) (Forcola Pass, just beneath Monte Cevedale 3769m )
- Hike to Rifugio Scoiattolo (1998m) (Malge Mare power station, Chapel of Saint Roch Montpellier)
- Hike down to Cogolo and then bus to Male (Peio Passo)