First X# runtime: available to the public?

• wriedmann
  • wriedmann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 5 days ago #1 by wriedmann
Hi Robert,

will the first X# version with the runtime be a public or a FoX release?

On the on side there are a lot of people waiting for this release, on the other side it would be easier to have it only used by a restricted number of persons.

Wolfgang

P.S. I will start to try it immediatly with my AlpiLog application because there I don't need the DBFCDX RDD (that I need in every other VO application).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #2 by FFF
Public. Why? Firstly, to show what a helluva job this small team does. Second, the pressure on the "restricted" is far harder to deliver thorough testing. Do you have the (additional) time?
If public response will be overwhelming ;)no problem, the support reaction time of this group was/is so short, noone will have a problem to wait a bit.
Finally, many moons ago i suggested to the man in florida to open the betas, but channel the reflow through the heads of the usergroups, to minimize the pressure on dev. (Needless to say, never a response...) But this we could handle, i think.

Karl

• wriedmann
  • Away
More
1 week 5 days ago #3 by wriedmann
Replied by wriedmann on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Karl,

I had only asked what the team has planned.... And as I wrote: it is easier to manage with a restricted group...

On the other side: I don't know how many people will start trying without the DBFCDX RDD. And that is scheduled for a later release.

And I agree: it is incredible what this team has accomplished the last months and years!

Wolfgang

More
1 week 5 days ago #4 by robert
Replied by robert on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Wolfgang, Karl

Good question.

There are arguments for each case:
  • By releasing to FOX only we give an extra reward to the people that have supported us (and hopefully that will stimulate others to subscribe too)
  • By releasing to the public we know that it will be tested more and most likely bugs will be found and solved quicker
  • By releasing to the public we will have more support work, but I am sure we can handle that.

What would you do ?

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• wriedmann
  • Away
More
1 week 5 days ago #5 by wriedmann
Replied by wriedmann on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Robert,

I would release in two waves: first the FoX, and maybe 7-10 days later to the public.

So if there are urgent issues they can be fixed before the public release.

Wolfgang