We had this problem earlier when the .rpt contained some indentation code in a RTF field and sent a reproducible example to Robert. This one seems different and quite odd. We create a group based report where a dbf file with a CDX is freshly filled with the data to be used. At the client about 1700 correct reports (PDF) were created . However 2 reports, a bit longer than the average but no further conceptual differences with the rest, also kept counting endlessly. Then there's something weird. I originally could reproduce this problem by opening the report in ReportPro and doing a preview. When I close the report and open the dbf in dbMax en rebuild the index, and run the preview again, it completed correctly after 9 pages. While, as far as I know, dbMax produces the same CDX as VO does.
Now it gets a bit weirder. I was planning to make a reproducible example and re-entered the database (Section properties, Select child table) so it would point to my example directory for both samples instead of my work directory. And then also the original index produced the correct report! So I did the same trick on the work directory (removing and re-applying the dbf) and now I could see the preview without endless repeating. Unfortunately when filling the database from the program it again keeps counting pages endlessly (while the preview now stops with the same database). I've tried multiple changes in the program (an explicit reindex of the database in the program; the dbf is closed before the report is called, passing the database as aDBFSwap) but the current situation is: only these 2 from 1700 reports keep counting from my program although now they they stop at the last page when using the preview directly from ReportPro, using the very same dbf as source.
No RTF field. It does have a group header however. This does not explain why I can currently create the report via the preview without endless pages contrary to running it from VO (same report, same source database).