fbpx
× Visual Objects

Please use this forum to post questions about Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET

Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it

More
10 months 1 week ago #1 by Rene J. Pajaron
Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it was created by Rene J. Pajaron
Hello X# Team,

I have annoying behavior of "new" ReportPro which is quite so strict on catching invalid relationship. It was working great with prior version of RP3 and got no problems as to the integrity of the report. It so happens that Index expression is lot longer than the Child Expression. or index tax expression do have fields that child do not have or tail end of the expression, child table no longer have equivalent.

For example: the example, the controlling order tag has the following expression: ACCT_NO +DOC_NO +SL_CODE +SEQ_NO, but the relationship is only required to be ACCT_NO +DOC_NO +SL_CODE because the child table do not have SEQ_NO field.

When I edit the report to follow new RP3 ways of validating relationship and when the data is completely hidden, I got ADS 5020 error which signify that index and table are not on same location, which I understand something about the RP3 not having to be used the index tag that I need to remove it to make the Child Expression editable.

Things works when table are visible from client PC but when it is hidden which is the case of all our clients, the report trigger an errors related to invalid expression or 5020 because report created index on the fly and it was accessible due to the design of our report which uses an array of all table location, index, etc..

So, to make less confusing: see attachment:

It took me months to pin down the true nature of the problem. I reiterate, previous build of RP3 do not generate an error when Index Tag have expression that are not fields of child table. In this case, I want this validation intact but I want to be able to "edit" the Child Expression.

Hope you understand.

Got no option to return to previous RP3; otherwise I will take another rounds of upgrade for hundred location all over the country which is logistically challenging for us to do in time allows.

For now, I will be editing again all reports to return to previous version and inform our users of the annoying but harmless error, see attachment number 2.

Regards,

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #2 by Rene J. Pajaron
Replied by Rene J. Pajaron on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
My other option is update the report to remove order expression that are not needed. this make our job endless.... the only hiccups is when the report is using live tables, in this case I need to add new order.

love it!

I hope you guys ready for X# runtime this Summer. I timed our conversion/transformation with X# runtime instead.

Rene J. Pajaron wrote: Hello X# Team,

I have annoying behavior of "new" ReportPro which is quite so strict on catching invalid relationship. It was working great with prior version of RP3 and got no problems as to the integrity of the report. It so happens that Index expression is lot longer than the Child Expression. or index tax expression do have fields that child do not have or tail end of the expression, child table no longer have equivalent.

For example: the example, the controlling order tag has the following expression: ACCT_NO +DOC_NO +SL_CODE +SEQ_NO, but the relationship is only required to be ACCT_NO +DOC_NO +SL_CODE because the child table do not have SEQ_NO field.

When I edit the report to follow new RP3 ways of validating relationship and when the data is completely hidden, I got ADS 5020 error which signify that index and table are not on same location, which I understand something about the RP3 not having to be used the index tag that I need to remove it to make the Child Expression editable.

Things works when table are visible from client PC but when it is hidden which is the case of all our clients, the report trigger an errors related to invalid expression or 5020 because report created index on the fly and it was accessible due to the design of our report which uses an array of all table location, index, etc..

So, to make less confusing: see attachment:

It took me months to pin down the true nature of the problem. I reiterate, previous build of RP3 do not generate an error when Index Tag have expression that are not fields of child table. In this case, I want this validation intact but I want to be able to "edit" the Child Expression.

Hope you understand.

Got no option to return to previous RP3; otherwise I will take another rounds of upgrade for hundred location all over the country which is logistically challenging for us to do in time allows.

For now, I will be editing again all reports to return to previous version and inform our users of the annoying but harmless error, see attachment number 2.



Regards,

Rene


--

Rene Pajaron
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Rene J. Pajaron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #3 by Chris Pyrgas
Replied by Chris Pyrgas on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
Hi Rene,

A sample is a thousand words :). Can you please also post a sample .rpt together with its accompanying dbfs to have a look?

TIA,
Chris

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #4 by Robert van der Hulst
Replied by Robert van der Hulst on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
Rene,

- I think the edit expression button is disabled, because you have selected a Tag. In that case the child expression shown is the expression of the index tag
- If I understand you correctly then the expression of the parent record returns a longer string than the child expression. That is usually not valid.
- I think the problem of the ADS5020 error comes from the fact that ReportPro tries to build a new index to help setup the relation. This may be caused by the incorrect relation defined in the report.

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #5 by Rene J. Pajaron
Replied by Rene J. Pajaron on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
Hi Chris,

For RP3 maintenance purposes, I will whip up a simple sample to demo my issue.
However, I already re-wrote all affected report classes and all is OK.

But I would like to lobby on the feature changes as noted in my screenshot, because I believe someone out there might have same need as me. when that someone have no access to the source code and only tables and rpt files you can access to edit.

More about this later. I will try this weekend to produce a sample.

Regards,

Rene

Chris Pyrgas wrote: Hi Rene,

A sample is a thousand words :). Can you please also post a sample .rpt together with its accompanying dbfs to have a look?

TIA,
Chris


--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #6 by Rene J. Pajaron
Replied by Rene J. Pajaron on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
Hi Robert,

The parent table have controlling order expression "ACCT_NO +SL_CODE +DOC_NO +SEQ_NO"; meanwhile the child do not have SEQ_NO column. This is the source of the problem. So the solution was to add new index order expression "ACCT_NO +SL_CODE +DOC_NO" to make table relation works, per new RP3.

Previous RP3 allowed this. I have 20+ reports that exhibit this issue and all are now updated by creating new order expression to match childs' columns.

On new RP3, I wish I can edit that child expression.

In our case, I already re-wrote the report yesterday and due to for deployment to our client's sites in following weeks.

Regards,

Rene

Robert van der Hulst wrote: Rene,

- I think the edit expression button is disabled, because you have selected a Tag. In that case the child expression shown is the expression of the index tag
- If I understand you correctly then the expression of the parent record returns a longer string than the child expression. That is usually not valid.
- I think the problem of the ADS5020 error comes from the fact that ReportPro tries to build a new index to help setup the relation. This may be caused by the incorrect relation defined in the report.

Robert


--

Rene Pajaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #7 by Robert van der Hulst
Replied by Robert van der Hulst on topic Urgent: New ReportPro 3 error, how to suppress it
Rene,

I still don't see what caused the problem in the latest RP3:
- The edit expression button was disabled in the previous version as well
- creating local indexes for Advantage was always a problem
- Most likely the problem was with the longer parent expression. But this should have never worked to begin with.

Can you please send us a copy of an old report and its data files, so we can test it against older versions of RP3 and the current version, so we can see what was changed and if that change was incorrect ?

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.