fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Visual Objects

Please use this forum to post questions about Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 15 Jun 2017 16:47 #1973

• ArneOrtlinghaus

• Topic Author

• There are still many runtime errors hidden in our programs. They are sometimes quite difficult to detect, most of all the errors that are connected to events of the GUI classes.
    In contrast to Windows Forms the GUI classes have not inserted much error handling treating Windows events, so many "simple" runtime errors remain unhandled and provoke heavy app crashes without readable error messages.

It is convenient to make the following steps:
    - Recompile the VO classes with X#
    - Insert error handling for the event methods you have overwritten like "Buttonclick", "Listboxselect", ...

Example from the calling part for the "Buttonclick"-event method

TRY // <<<<< Start of errorblock
    if IsInstanceOf(oChild, #PushButton)
    // force focus to button to update values
    oChild:SetFocus() // AO TRUE)
    if !self:__CommandFromEvent(oTempEvent)
    self:ButtonClick(oTempEvent)
    else
    self:EventReturnValue := 1l
    endif
    else
    self:ButtonClick(oTempEvent)
    endif
    // ---- Error handling using some error output messages as is convenient for your own programs
    CATCH oError as Exception //X# AO 4/2017
    local c :="ButtonClick Error ,... "
    c += CRLF + Asstring(self) +" " + asstring(oEvt)
    _CallClipfunc(#MsgErrorDB, {c, nil, oError})
    END TRY

Arne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 15 Jun 2017 20:42 #1975

• wriedmann

• Hi Arne,

I thought about something like this not only for the GUI classes, but also for my own classes.
    Unfortunately in .NET it is not possible to use global error handlers, but IMHO a solution could be to use the preprocessor to insert error handling in every method of a library.

Or maybe the development team could give us a better idea? Error handling in legacy code is one of my greatest concerns....

Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Riedmann
    Meran, South Tyrol, Italy

www.riedmann.it - docs.xsharp.it

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 15 Jun 2017 22:46 #1976

• Otto

• One word: Postsharp. It works also with XSharp
    Then you can decide whether you want to add it to a method or not.

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 16 Jun 2017 07:49 #1977

• ArneOrtlinghaus

• Topic Author

• Hi Otto,
    can you give some more information about what you are using?
    Arne

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 16 Jun 2017 08:01 #1978

• ArneOrtlinghaus

• Topic Author

• Hi Wolfgang,
    my experience is:
    It needs at least one Try/Recover block to surround X# code without being interrrupted by Windows API functions. So Batch processes normally are not so critical because it is normally possible to have one Try/Recover block in the calling process. The GUI classes are much more problematic.
    Example:
    A button action is surrounded by a Try/Recover block.
    But the error happens within a method triggered by a Windows event originally initiated by the button action.
    Then this cannot be handled correctly by the Try/Recover, but needs another Try/Recover block inside or outside the event method. I have searched in our programs which event methods have been overwritten and I have found about 50 different methods used, but many of them hundreds of times. It is because of this that I have thought on changing the VO GUI classes. Each event method normally is called normally in one, two, three different places, not more.

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 16 Jun 2017 09:09 #1979

• wriedmann

• Hi Arne,

unfortunately this is true also in nearly all of my programs: I have a lot of code in event handlers....

As I wrote: error handling is my biggest concern in this migration, and I hope Robert or Chris can give us an idea how to solve this.

Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Riedmann

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 17 Jun 2017 13:09 #1980

• Chris

• Hi Wolfgang (and all!),

Error handling of your VO apps should still work fine in .Net. Unless I am forgetting something else, the only thing in this area that will not work in x# (because it is not supported by the .Net runtime) is the ErrorBlock() functionality for registering a global error handler. But it is still possible to register a global error handler in a different way, by using a TRY..CATCH in your Start() function.

Of course you don't have the possibility this way to just ignore an exception and continue with execution of your app, is this what you are missing? If yes, then TRY...CTACH (or BEGIN SEQUENCE...RECOVER) statements must be added more locally, around blocks of code were you "expect" exceptions to happen. So this depends on your specific needs, what kind of exceptions do you handle through a global error handler in your VO apps?

Regarding GUI exceptions, based on Arne's suggestion, I got the idea of surrounding the Window:Dispatch() code with a TRY..CATCH statement, this should help trapping all related exceptions. I don't think it would have a measurable performance hit, but would be better to test it of course.

Chris
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 17 Jun 2017 17:59 #1981

• ArneOrtlinghaus

• Topic Author

• Hi Chris,
    I tested already surrounding the start function with a try catch. But this way the errors generated within the GuI give no meaningful trace information and can give hard app crashes nevertheless.
    Inserting error handling for the Windows dispatch method could be the solution. Probably there are some more places. The controls have another dispatch method for example.

Arne

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 17 Jun 2017 19:12 #1982

• wriedmann

• Hi Chris,

unfortunately I have the same experience as Arne: a central try-catch does not give meaningful traces. To have a meaningful error trace, the try-catch block must be in the entity where the error is occurring.

Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Riedmann

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 18 Jun 2017 11:31 #1983

• Chris

• Guys,

Here's some nice code that Robert sent me the other day and we are now injecting from the VO exporter tool to the Start() function of ported from VO apps. This should give meaningful enough error messages, of course you can modify it to get only the callstack or other info you need:

TRY
    // app execution here
    CATCH e AS Exception
    LOCAL cMessage AS STRING
    cMessage := e:Message
    DO WHILE e:InnerException != NULL_OBJECT
    e := e:InnerException
    cMessage += CRLF+e:Message
    ENDDO
    ErrorBox{NIL, cMessage}:Show()
    END TRY

Chris

ps. quite some drama in Le Mans as I'm writing this!
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 01:43 #1984

• ppiko

• Hi guys,

I'll come out of lurker mode ;)

Years ago when I did conference sessions on exception handling I suggested looking at this for ideas: C# Exception Handler . Of course it is not just for C#, and can be applied to any .NET language.

And don't forget to do something about any exceptions that aren't explicitly handled. Put these into your startup code as required:
    • AppDomain.UnhandledException= Notification of uncaught exceptions
    • Application.ThreadException= Triggered by exceptions that occur in Windows Forms threads; by default doesn’t trigger UnhandledException
    • Application.DispatcherUnhandledException= Triggered by exceptions occurring in WPF UI

E.g.

In XAML
    <Application x:Class="ExceptionExampleWPF.App"
    xmlns=" schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation "
    xmlns:x=" schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml "
    DispatcherUnhandledException="MyDispatcherUnhandledExceptionLogger"
    StartupUri="Window1.xaml">
    </Application>

In code
    PROTECTED METHOD OnStartup(e AS StartupEventArgs) AS VOID
    // Vulcan
    Application.Current:DispatcherUnhandledException += ;
    DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventHandler{SELF,;
    @MyDispatcherUnhandledExceptionLogger()}
    SUPER:OnStartUp(e)
    RETURN

Regards,
    Paul

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 08:25 #1985

• wriedmann

• Hi Chris,

thank you very much!

Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Riedmann

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 08:45 #1986

• wriedmann

• Hi Paul,

your contribution is very welcome! It's a long time I have read something from you, and I'm really happy that you are here.
    The Exception handler link is very interesting, thank you!

Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Riedmann

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 10:56 #1987

• NickFriend

• Hi Chris,

We use something like this for error logging in conjunction with Log4Net. I'd recommend this to everyone... very simple to implement and use and very flexible.

Nick

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 16:08 #1988

• Chris

• That's very nice hearing from you Paul!
    It's been a while, hope you're doing well and thanks for contributing!

Chris
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 16:14 #1989

• Chris

• Hi Nick,

Thanks for the pointer about Log4Net! But what did you mean you use in conjunction with it? I think you meant Paul's code?

Chris
    XSharp Development Team
    chris(at)xsharp.eu

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 19 Jun 2017 17:21 #1990

• NickFriend

• Hi Chris,

In our base classes we have some common error logging code which receives the Exception object from the Catch, and does the loop through the InnerExceptions as you showed, then the output can get logged via Log4Net.

Very simple and gives good clear log info for clearing up errors detected at runtime (never happens of course), or just for general logging to see what the program is doing.

Nick

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 20 Jun 2017 12:57 #1994

• Otto

• Arne Ortlinghaus wrote: Hi Otto,
    can you give some more information about what you are using?
    Arne

Hi Arne,
    yes I can.

I use PostSharp, which implements Aspect Oriented Programming.
    Your methods focus on the key businesslogic, and all default other kind BS is seperated and backed into Aspects.
    If all of your methods must have some kind of exception handling, you define it in one place, and point the methods you want to augment with that behaviour.

In the following example an exception is thrown in the method MyBuggyMethod, caught in the aspect MyOnExceptionAspect, written to the console and ignored (by changing the FlowBehavior to FlowBehavior.Return). You can add logic to log the error, decide whether this exception can be ignored etc, and continue.

Aspects can be used for logging, checking parameters of methods etc.
    You can mix XSharp and CSharp in creating Aspects or using them without problem.

I post here the essential pieces of the code:
    BEGIN NAMESPACE Aspects

/// <summary>
        /// The MyOnExceptionAspect class.
        /// </summary>
        [PSerializable];
        public class MyOnExceptionAspect INHERIT OnExceptionAspect

override public METHOD OnException(args AS MethodExecutionArgs) AS VOID STRICT

Console.WriteLine(i"From within the XSharp OnExceptionAspect: {args.Exception.Message}")
                args:FlowBehavior := FlowBehavior.Return
                return
        END CLASS
    END NAMESPACE
    BEGIN NAMESPACE PostSharpTest
        public CLASS Test

[MyOnExceptionAspect];
                METHOD MyBuggyMethod(mustThrow as LOGIC) as void strict
                    IF mustThrow
                        throw Exception{"I had to throw an exception"}
                    ENDIF
                RETURN

END CLASS	
    END NAMESPACE // PostSharpTest
        FUNCTION Start() AS VOID
            Console.WriteLine("Hello World!")
            LOCAL t AS Test
            t := Test{}
            Console.WriteLine("before the buggy method")
            t:MyBuggyMethod(true)
            Console.WriteLine("after the buggy method")

Console.WriteLine("Press any key to continue...")

Console.ReadKey()
        RETURN

The output in the console is:
    before the buggy method
    From within the XSharp OnExceptionAspect: I had to throw an exception
    after the buggy method

Last edit: by Otto. Reason: markup

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 20 Jun 2017 14:43 #1995

• Meinhard

• Hi guys!

Just my two cents...

You should definitely look into the exception handling block of Microsofts Enterprise Library!

Regards
    Meinhard

Suggestions for conversion VO programs using VO GUI classes 21 Jun 2017 15:01 #2002

• ArneOrtlinghaus

• Topic Author

• Dieter Crispien 2 years ago proposed also installing a global error handler via AppDomain for all unhandled exceptions similar to the code below saying that this is only for exceptions that cannot be handled ordinarily by a correct error block.
    I tested it with a simulated simple runtime error within the GUI classes. The message was output on the screen, but then the app crashed nevertheless.

In Start function after creating shellobject
    AppDomain.CurrentDomain:UnhandledException += UnhandledExceptionEventHandler{ oWinShell , @WinShell.UnhandledException()}

PARTIAL CLASS WinShell

METHOD UnhandledException(sender AS OBJECT, e AS UnhandledExceptionEventArgs) AS VOID
    LOCAL ex AS Exception

ex := (Exception)e:ExceptionObject

msgerror ("Unhandled exception in program " + errorobject2string(ex))
    RETURN

END CLASS

• Page: