fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This public forum is meant for questions and discussions about Visual FoxPro
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reporting

Reporting 2 weeks 1 day ago #11524

David Martin's Avatar Topic Author David Martin Offline Posts: 5
Maybe I have missed this somewhere ... how is reporting going to be handled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reporting 2 weeks 1 day ago #11525

Chris's Avatar Chris Offline Posts: 1459
Either by posting the report here, or using the "Tickets" button at the top-right of this website to open the report directly in GitHub. It helps reporting it here first if it's some matter that's worth discussing with other members first.
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Reporting 2 weeks 1 day ago #11528

FoxProMatt_MattSlay's Avatar FoxProMatt_MattSlay Offline Posts: 276
Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...

Reporting 2 weeks 23 hours ago #11532

lumberjack's Avatar lumberjack Offline Posts: 608
Matt,

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote: Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...

I think you are correct.

Robert already mentioned ReportPro as alternative and potentially make it read the VFP report files. The other option might be to try and compile the FoxyPreviewer with X# once all the VFP syntax/runtime features are implemented in X#?

Reporting 2 weeks 22 hours ago #11533

Hi IvyLeagueSoftware -

I can tell you from a reply Robert gave me in the VFP FOX Supporter forum that he thinks their Report Pro tool can be made to work with VFP reports.

Link to thread here: www.xsharp.info/forum/private-vfp/1449-f...by-doug-hennig#10661

Reporting 2 weeks 20 hours ago #11534

mainhatten's Avatar mainhatten Offline Posts: 30

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote: I can tell you from a reply Robert gave me in the VFP FOX Supporter forum that he thinks their Report Pro tool can be made to work with VFP reports.
Link to thread here: www.xsharp.info/forum/private-vfp/1449-f...by-doug-hennig#10661

not able to read private... but why not recompile the "stock" report handling added in vfp 9. which can be set as "Reportbehaviou 90" first? Sources to ReportOutput and Reportviewer (as well as ReportBuilder) are included in vfp. Is GDIPlus unable to run outside Win32/Win64 and foxyPreviewer has less difficulties running on Mono/Xamarin for Android ? PDF certainly more important than 12 years ago, but I guess foxyPreviewer will be harder to port...

mused about the topic in:
www.xsharp.info/forum/public-vfp/1533-fo...atibility-list#11395

regards
thomas

att: readme and license from vfp reporting "90",seems permissive enough (IANAL!)
Attachments:

Reporting 2 weeks 20 hours ago #11535

Chris's Avatar Chris Offline Posts: 1459

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote: Chris - I believe they are asking about Report generating in a VFP app. Report designer? Viewer? etc...

Oops, right, thanks! :blush:
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Reporting 2 weeks 20 hours ago #11537

Thanks for the replys Guys.

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro 2 weeks 19 hours ago #11538

MainHatten said:

.. why not recompile the "stock" report handling added in vfp 9. ? Sources to ReportOutput and Reportviewer (as well as ReportBuilder) are included in vfp.

So, I did some looking around for these "Sources" and I see that indeed the VFP Reporting pieces are implemented in plain old VFP code, and are included with Microsoft's Visual FoxPro installation in a bundle they call "XSource", and I believe they open-sourced this XSource to the community when they announced they were not going to continue VFP (this may need to be verified). There is XSource.zip in the Visual FoxPro \Tools\XSource directory.

Reporting Apps is part of "XSource", the source files for various Visual FoxPro components. The license governing XSource can be found in the XSource_EULA.txt included with all of the XSource releases.

Next I discovered that Doug Hennig has put the VFP Reporting source code from XSource in a GitHub repo, and it has had many updates and revisions since the production release. So, anyone working with this should start from Dougs repo, not the one that shipped with VFP.

Here is the repo: github.com/VFPX/ReportingApps

I took a quick look at the source code it all appears in VFP code (PRGs and VCXs), and X#.VFP seems to be on a path to fully implement VFP code support, so this could look very promising, for someone to get this VFP report engine running in X# in pretty much the same way it runs in VFP.

Probably the most mysterious part of this is the _GDIPlus.vcx library that is part of the VFP installation.

The VFP Help file says this about _GDIPlux.vcx:

The GDI Plus API Wrapper Foundation class library, _GDIPlus.vcx, contains a collection of classes that wrap GDI+ Flat API functionality for use in Visual FoxPro. You can use these classes to add GDI+ features to forms and reports.

So, maybe _GDIPlus.cvx is just wrapper code around Windows "stuff" and maybe once the code is finally down that GDI+ level, it can still run from X#, but I am not sure about that.

Last edit: by FoxProMatt_MattSlay.

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro 2 weeks 15 hours ago #11543

Well, I have now learned that the source code provided through XSource is only run time items to build a report, preview the report, and then output the report.

There is no Report Designer; that is part of the VFP IDE, so that means there’s no way to create new, or edit existing FoxPro reports unless someone makes a new designer for it.

And since Report Pro already has a designer, it sure seems like the obvious path is simply for Robert to attempt migrating FoxPro reports to Report Pro.

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro 2 weeks 14 hours ago #11544

mainhatten's Avatar mainhatten Offline Posts: 30

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote: So, I did some looking around for these "Sources"... There is XSource.zip in the Visual FoxPro \Tools\XSource directory.

Ooops - should I be more explicit in defining location ? Had surmized you being around here for some time plus an "old fox" this was common knowledge... If no need for speed on your side just ask if I am not clear enough ;-)

Next I discovered that Doug Hennig has put the VFP Reporting source code from XSource in a GitHub repo, and it has had many updates and revisions since the production release. So, anyone working with this should start from Dougs repo, not the one that shipped with VFP.
Here is the repo: github.com/VFPX/ReportingApps

Yes, by all means get the version of vfpX - I referred to vfp install first as licensing terms are best read there, before embarking on that route with enhanced code - remember the hoopla with Whil and installing runtimes in Linux?

Probably the most mysterious part of this is the _GDIPlus.vcx library that is part of the VFP installation.
The VFP Help file says this about _GDIPlux.vcx:

The GDI Plus API Wrapper Foundation class library, _GDIPlus.vcx, contains a collection of classes that wrap GDI+ Flat API functionality for use in Visual FoxPro. You can use these classes to add GDI+ features to forms and reports.

So, maybe _GDIPlus.cvx is just wrapper code around Windows "stuff" and maybe once the code is finally down that GDI+ level, it can still run from X#, but I am not sure about that.

AFAIR it is a Windows dll, seems there is at least a libgdiplus for Mono, but nothing for Android
www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/libgdiplus/

Last edit: by mainhatten.

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro 2 weeks 14 hours ago #11545

Matt,

FoxProMatt_MattSlay wrote: why not recompile the "stock" report handling added in vfp 9. ? Sources to ReportOutput and Reportviewer (as well as ReportBuilder) are included in vfp.

We can probably drop the GDI stuff, .NET got the System.Drawing.Graphics and System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument classes.

I for one already have a Printing class wrapped around this in .NET. What is missing on my side is the GUI Designer, since I use a Data-driven approach. I am sure with what is available in ReportPro, what I have done, and also Phil Hepburn, who did a series called BestPrint, we can relatively quickly bundle these together to support Reporting. Not only in X# but .NET in general.

So in essence, if we can read the VFP Report repo, it can be "interpreted" already by what is available.

Reporting in VFP | FoxPro 2 weeks 14 hours ago #11546

Here are the core of all of my Report work. It emulates the ReportPro methods:

Reporting 1 week 4 days ago #11574

Is there somewhere that tells us about ReportPro 2/3?

Reporting 1 week 3 days ago #11575

ivyleaguesoftware wrote: Is there somewhere that tells us about ReportPro 2/3?

I have found this link: ReportPro documentation

Reporting 1 week 3 days ago #11576

wriedmann's Avatar wriedmann Away Posts: 1850
Hello,

Is there somewhere that tells us about ReportPro 2/3?

ReportPro was produced by the software company DataPro as Reportwriter for Visual Objects and written in Visual Objects itself. The version 2 used the VO GUI classes for the designer and the preview and is AFAIK the most used reporting tool in the Visual Objects world.
Then DataPro released their own string typed version of GUI classes that could replace the VO GUI classes and based their Report Writer on it: ReportPro 3 exposed an ActiveX for the designer and the preview and DataPro planned to expand their market beyond the Visual Objects market.
Now, the X# development team has taken over the support for this reporting tool (Robert knows the sources very well), and so they have a working report writer that can be adapted to changing needs without the need to rewrite one.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy

www.riedmann.it - docs.xsharp.it

Reporting 1 week 3 days ago #11583

Thanks for the information guys.

• Page: