fbpx

First X# runtime: available to the public?

• Wolfgang Riedmann
  • Wolfgang Riedmann's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 months 1 week ago #1 by Wolfgang Riedmann
First X# runtime: available to the public? was created by Wolfgang Riedmann
Hi Robert,

will the first X# version with the runtime be a public or a FoX release?

On the on side there are a lot of people waiting for this release, on the other side it would be easier to have it only used by a restricted number of persons.

Wolfgang

P.S. I will start to try it immediatly with my AlpiLog application because there I don't need the DBFCDX RDD (that I need in every other VO application).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #2 by Karl Faller
Replied by Karl Faller on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Public. Why? Firstly, to show what a helluva job this small team does. Second, the pressure on the "restricted" is far harder to deliver thorough testing. Do you have the (additional) time?
If public response will be overwhelming ;)no problem, the support reaction time of this group was/is so short, noone will have a problem to wait a bit.
Finally, many moons ago i suggested to the man in florida to open the betas, but channel the reflow through the heads of the usergroups, to minimize the pressure on dev. (Needless to say, never a response...) But this we could handle, i think.

Karl

• Wolfgang Riedmann
More
7 months 1 week ago #3 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Replied by Wolfgang Riedmann on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Karl,

I had only asked what the team has planned.... And as I wrote: it is easier to manage with a restricted group...

On the other side: I don't know how many people will start trying without the DBFCDX RDD. And that is scheduled for a later release.

And I agree: it is incredible what this team has accomplished the last months and years!

Wolfgang

More
7 months 1 week ago #4 by Robert van der Hulst
Replied by Robert van der Hulst on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Wolfgang, Karl

Good question.

There are arguments for each case:
  • By releasing to FOX only we give an extra reward to the people that have supported us (and hopefully that will stimulate others to subscribe too)
  • By releasing to the public we know that it will be tested more and most likely bugs will be found and solved quicker
  • By releasing to the public we will have more support work, but I am sure we can handle that.

What would you do ?

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Wolfgang Riedmann
More
7 months 1 week ago #5 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Replied by Wolfgang Riedmann on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Robert,

I would release in two waves: first the FoX, and maybe 7-10 days later to the public.

So if there are urgent issues they can be fixed before the public release.

Wolfgang

More
7 months 1 week ago #6 by Johan Nel
Replied by Johan Nel on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Robert,

robert wrote: What would you do ?

A a non FOX subscriber (hope to change that sooner than later), I am happy to wait e.g. a month for the FOX subscribers to sort out bugs before the rest of us flood you with "real" bugs....:lol:

That said, probably easier since I even in the pre-X# days forced myself not to make use of the <Language>RT[Funcs], except for macro-compiled codeblocks, which I believe became part of X# in my absence that I have not yet tested.

Regards,

More
7 months 1 week ago #7 by Otto Christiaanse
Replied by Otto Christiaanse on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?

I would release in two waves: first the FoX, and maybe 7-10 days later to the public.
So if there are urgent issues they can be fixed before the public release.

Sounds sound

More
7 months 1 week ago #8 by Karl Faller
Replied by Karl Faller on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Otto,
first, i doubt "serious" issues will not have already been seen and fixed by the team, second, as much as i'd like it, i don't see thousands of people rush to get and test the runtime. Would be astonished, if the first wave will go beyond 200, 10% might immediately do serious checks - and that won't overwhelm the support folks ;)
OTOH, i'd like to see more folks going FOX...

• Wolfgang Riedmann
More
7 months 1 week ago #9 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Hi Karl,

apart from the fact that everyone that earns money with his X# programming should be part of the FoX program: there are many people that are either retired or don't work anymore for money - like Phil or Johan or someone other.
And some of them are contributing and helping here.

Many people is awaiting the first version of the runtime, so I suspect this could be the most downloaded and installed version since the beginning, and there could be issues with the installation or Visual Studio installation that don't show up on the development PCs, but will eventually show up on our PCs. Delaying the public release a few days would give the possibility to exclude some issues, I think.

And for testing: in my VO migration projects I cannot test the runtime because I need the DBFCDX RDD, so I need to stick with the Vulcan runtime a few weeks now. But I have to start a synchronisation tool between an ADS and a MS SQL Server, so this for sure will be my first project using the runtime effectively.

Wolfgang

More
7 months 1 week ago #10 by Robert van der Hulst
Replied by Robert van der Hulst on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Guys,

Thanks for your input. We will deliver the first beta to the FOX subscribers only and maybe to some "special" non Fox users that kindly request it.

After a week or so we will release it to the general public (most likely with some changes because you guys managed to break some things :))

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
7 months 1 week ago #11 by Johan Nel
Replied by Johan Nel on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Wolfgang,

wriedmann wrote: don't work anymore for money - like Johan

The helping is a pleasure, just maybe not so up to detail with all the developments during the last year, but am slowly catching up... Contributing is a small part, I get more out of here than what I feel I contribute.

Regarding "anymore" for money, well that I hope will soon change. Might just starting to see a small improvement in my eyes and legs at the moment. Cross fingers! This 21 year old trapped in a 50 something body still has many moons to go.

Johan

More
7 months 1 week ago #12 by Rene J. Pajaron
Replied by Rene J. Pajaron on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?

lumberjack wrote: Hi Wolfgang,

wriedmann wrote: don't work anymore for money - like Johan

The helping is a pleasure, just maybe not so up to detail with all the developments during the last year, but am slowly catching up... Contributing is a small part, I get more out of here than what I feel I contribute.

Regarding "anymore" for money, well that I hope will soon change. Might just starting to see a small improvement in my eyes and legs at the moment. Cross fingers! This 21 year old trapped in a 50 something body still has many moons to go.

Johan

Hi Johan,

We need that 50-something wisdom in 21-something energy. Me with growing grey hair fast and aging eyes too.

In my case, I have no need of X# without RDD but I may have something to make me productive during the X# runtime beta. Probably, in preparation for X# RDD runtime beta, I have to build the VO runtime as Robert noted before. then do some serious testing, like the arrays and many more. I do not make use of macro and other scripting stuff. Maybe, I will explore that one too.

Nevertheless, look forward to it and seriously, in preparation for RDD stuff.

Need to get rid of Vulcan runtime to finally have any cpu x64 thing running.

Regards,

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johan Nel

More
7 months 1 week ago #13 by Danilo Giuliani
Replied by Danilo Giuliani on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Personally I have not used DBF for over 15 years. If I publish the corresponding of VulcanRT.dll and VulcanRTFuncs.dll I'm okay.

Danilo

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #14 by Dick
Hello Wolfgang,

wriedmann wrote: Hi Karl,

On the other side: I don't know how many people will start trying without the DBFCDX RDD. And that is scheduled for a later release.

Wolfgang

To be honest, I kind of missed the point how the first X# runtime is different from the current X# releases. Is this a version that runs without Vulcan DLL's?
If so, we would need to access DBF files with it so if that's for a later release I will not in the first test-team I am afraid.

Dick
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Dick.

More
7 months 1 week ago #15 by Chris Pyrgas
Replied by Chris Pyrgas on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
Hi Dick,

This will be the first step in the way of completely getting rid of the vulcan runtime dlls, later this year.

This first version will have native X# support for VO types like USUAL, ARRAY etc, runtime functions like Left(), Right() and so on, and will also feature the fisrt version of the X# macro compiler.

So if you have an app that uses that kind of things, but no dbfs, then you will be already able to get rid of the vulcan dlls and use the x# runtime dlls instead. Well, some things will need some ironing out, after you guys test it with your apps, but within a few weeks I think this part of the runtime will be completely ready.

For apps that use dbfs, you will need to wait a bit more, before you can move to the x# runtime. We;re getting close though, it shouldn't bee too long now, till everything will be native X#...

Chris

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

More
7 months 1 week ago #16 by Rene J. Pajaron

Chris wrote: Hi Dick,

This will be the first step in the way of completely getting rid of the vulcan runtime dlls, later this year.

This first version will have native X# support for VO types like USUAL, ARRAY etc, runtime functions like Left(), Right() and so on, and will also feature the fisrt version of the X# macro compiler.

So if you have an app that uses that kind of things, but no dbfs, then you will be already able to get rid of the vulcan dlls and use the x# runtime dlls instead. Well, some things will need some ironing out, after you guys test it with your apps, but within a few weeks I think this part of the runtime will be completely ready.

For apps that use dbfs, you will need to wait a bit more, before you can move to the x# runtime. We;re getting close though, it shouldn't bee too long now, till everything will be native X#...

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for the update.

I timed my new roadmap for new runtime upgrade of our core apps based on X# roadmap schedule:
Xsharp.RDD > Beta on July 2018 with target release date on September 2018.

Give and take, that is basically Q4.

Regards,

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron

• Wolfgang Riedmann
More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #17 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Hi Dick,

the X# development team is really fast in delivering, but unfortunately they cannot do all on the same time.

Therefore you will have to wait for the X# RDDs. But there are several people that does not need DBFCDX like Danilo, or some of my applications, and these will start with the X# runtime when it becomes available. And I am very curious if the current ADS RDD will compile with the X# runtime instead of the Vulcan runtime - this will be one of the first things I will try.

Wolfgang
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Wolfgang Riedmann.

More
7 months 1 week ago #18 by Rene J. Pajaron
Hi Wolfgang,

re: ADS RDD. The way understand it, it need X# RDD, hence it is dependent to X# RDD. Just a thought, but let me know about your experiment.

--

Rene Pajaron

• Wolfgang Riedmann
More
7 months 1 week ago #19 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Hi Rene,

the original ADS RDD for Vulcan.NET is written in C#, but has dependencies to the Vulcan runtime DLLs.

It is very easy to decompile it and recompile it with a new version of runtime DLLs. This was the only possibility to make them run with Vulcan.NET v4.

Therefore it should be no problem to try this with X#.

For sure, you break the SAP license decompiling the RDD, but I don't think SAP will do anything because they don't sell the RDD, but the server, and are interested in selling more servers.
But since this is not a legal behaviour, the X# team cannot do this for you. But as Robert stated several times, the ADS RDD will be the first RDD they will do for themselves.

Of course I will let know you if I'm able to make the ADS RDD run with the X# runtime.

Wolfgang

More
7 months 1 week ago #20 by Danilo Giuliani
Replied by Danilo Giuliani on topic First X# runtime: available to the public?
I did not understand, I missed something? But the replacement DLLs for VulcanRt.Dll and VulcanRtFuncs.dll are not available yet, are they?

Danilo