Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Explorer Sample runtime error

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2086

rjpajaron's Avatar Topic Author rjpajaron Offline Posts: 191

Hi X# Team,

See attachment.

Following Robert's instruction, I able to build Explorer Sample in VS 2015.
However, I got runtime error.

"Vulcan.NET Runtime Error". Probably, I am the most hard-assed out there who resist Vulcan invasion. Vulcan Runtime 205 here!!!

--

Rene
--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2088

robert's Avatar robert Away Posts: 1004
Rene,

The error message that you get is probably a little different from the error message that later Vulcan versions get, but the example describes this error.
Did you copy the CATO*.DLL files as indicated on https://www.xsharp.info/help/example-1-the-vo-explorer-examp.html

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2092

Hi Robert,

Just the dll described here: www.xsharp.info/help/example-1-the-vo-explorer-examp.html

--

Rene

I will try again tonight.... I will update you.
--

Rene Pajaron

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2098

Robert van der Hulst wrote: Rene,

I copied all DLL in VO redist, but the problem remains...

I will now proceed to some major conversion....

The error message that you get is probably a little different from the error message that later Vulcan versions get, but the example describes this error.
Did you copy the CATO*.DLL files as indicated on https://www.xsharp.info/help/example-1-the-vo-explorer-examp.html

Robert

--

Rene Pajaron

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2099

Chris's Avatar Chris Offline Posts: 1181
Hi Rene,

Hmm, let's see what's causing this, this should had worked fine. I checked the callstack you sent, the error happens in this line

SUPER(oOwner, FALSE, #CustomerTreeView, #CustomerListView)

because it fails to create the classes CustomerTreeView and/or CustomerListView. In my version of the ported sample, those classes exist correctly in the code and the sample runs fine. Maybe for some reason those does not exist in your sample? Could it be you have modified those classes after exporting them?

If there's nothing obvious like that, can you please zip and send the exported folder to have a look?

Chris
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2113

Chris Pyrgas wrote: Hi Rene,

Hmm, let's see what's causing this, this should had worked fine. I checked the callstack you sent, the error happens in this line

SUPER(oOwner, FALSE, #CustomerTreeView, #CustomerListView)

because it fails to create the classes CustomerTreeView and/or CustomerListView. In my version of the ported sample, those classes exist correctly in the code and the sample runs fine. Maybe for some reason those does not exist in your sample? Could it be you have modified those classes after exporting them?

If there's nothing obvious like that, can you please zip and send the exported folder to have a look?

Chris

I apologize last time, I wrote at the middle of "quote" and my post look so ugly. I have yet to get used to web-based forum that looks like this.

Anyway, I have screenshot of the VS 2015 debug view.

Hope this help also...
I hold my test conversion for now...

--

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2114

Hi Chris,

I have the full converted folder that contains the VS solutions and VIDE project.

File Attachment:

File Name: Explorer Sample.zip
File Size:3,922 KB
--

Rene Pajaron
Attachments:

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2115

FFF's Avatar FFF Away Posts: 577
Rene,
those dratted icons are missing...
@Chris,
copied the icons from my vo-folder to the new location, changed the path X#,
first it complained, so i added "" around the path to avoid any issue with the space, but now i get a strange result, see attachment.

For good measure, restarted Xide, but the error is still there... :huh:

Karl
Attachments:

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2116

Karl Faller wrote: Rene,
those dratted icons are missing...
@Chris,
copied the icons from my vo-folder to the new location, changed the path X#,
first it complained, so i added "" around the path to avoid any issue with the space, but now i get a strange result, see attachment.

For good measure, restarted Xide, but the error is still there... :huh:

Karl

That is strange.

I will experiment again tonight.

--

Rene
--

Rene Pajaron

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2117

Hi Rene,

Thanks for posting the code, that helped a lot! In short, the problem is that the option in the project settings <Language Tab>\"Prefix classes with default Namepsace" is set to True. Set this to False and now the sample will run fine.

The reason why this was causing this problem, is because when this option is enabled, then all the classes in your project get automatically prefixed with the namespace that is provided in the General tab of the Project Options. So in your sample's case, for example the class "CustomerTreeView" was actually getting emitted by the compiler as "Explorer.Sample.CustomerTreeView". But then, in line 109 there is this code:

SUPER(oOwner, false, #CustomerTreeView, #CustomerListView)

which then internally calls CreateInstance() for the above classes. But now the class names are different, so CreateInstance() cannot find them. So another solution could have been to specify the "new" names here:

SUPER(oOwner, false, "Explorer.Sample.CustomerTreeView", "Explorer.Sample.CustomerListView")

(conversion from STRING to SYMBOL happens automatically)

either doing that, or disabling the "Prefix classes with default Namepsace" options (but do not do both!) will allow the code to run as expected.

Also, if you want to compile and run the XIDE version, then you will only need to disable the option <Compiler>/nostddefs: Ignore XSharpDefs.vh, because this file contains the definition for CRLF and you do not want to ignore that.

Chris

ps. Con's worry at all about the formatting of your posts, that's no problem at all. Personally I am still trying to get used to posting in a web forum, even after having posted lot's of messages already!

ps2. Karl, I am pretty sure the error message is correct, probably some part of the path you specified is not correct . Can you check again pelase?
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2119

Hello Chris,

Done it!

I can now run Explorer Sample on VS 2015 and made some adjustment in XIDE, which by the I love the look and feel due to proximity to VO IDE. How I wish VO IDE was re-designed with XIDE. Anyway....

Regards,

Rene
--

Rene Pajaron

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2120

Chris Pyrgas wrote: ps2. Karl, I am pretty sure the error message is correct, probably some part of the path you specified is not correct . Can you check again pelase?

Chris,
just now, restarted machine, restarted Xide, F9, i get the same error as you see in the pic. Where else could i write this path, if it is NOT the correct place?

Wanted to attach the whole proj, but the site won't accept the size, so, if you want, it is at:
filebin.net/n4vxsnr9gm6mqts1

HAND
Karl
Attachments:

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2123

Hi Karl,

I am sorry, you are right, it's not a typo in the path as I had suspected. Turns out it's a quirk of the resource compiler (rc.exe), when you use paths inside double quotes, then backslashes must be doubled (guess they are treated as escaped characters). So in your case, you'd need to change the resource contents to:

ICONONE Icon "C:\\Users\\Karl2\\Desktop\\_Code\\Rene\\Explorer Sample\\Bin\\ONE.ICO"
ICONTWO Icon "C:\\Users\\Karl2\\Desktop\\_Code\\Rene\\Explorer Sample\Bin\\TWO.ICO"

and now it should work! You learn something every day..

Chris
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2125

Should ;)

error XS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Project VS14\Phoenix\XSharp\Explorer Sample\SDK_DEFINES.dll' could not be found

This path certainly is not on my machine, but i found it under "Location" in the Properties/References..., so removed it - lots of errors <g>
Searched, and referenced from the XPorter folder, now:
error XS0103: The name 'CRLF' does not exist in the current context 12,16
so, rememembered some posts ago, removed the nostd switch,
now compiled, but crashed later due to missing Catoxxx <vbg>.
Tried to reference them via References, but that failes for missing managed parts, so copied them to bin, now at file open it crashes due to missing customer.dbf, found the path to dbf is hardcoded...

Finally decided, i'm not sooo interested in this sample...

BTW, would be fine, if Xide could learn to add the missing "escape \" to the resources, that's a gotcha one very likely will have forgotten next time - although i wonder, how the error message gets build - you see, (only) the last "\" is missing AND it swallows the first letter of the icon filename.

Karl

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2126

Hi Karl,

Yes, this sample (and most samples in VO) use hardcoded paths. If you had ported it in your own machine, then the paths would had been ok for you.

About the backslashes, well, that's a string inside a text file, I don't think it's a good idea for an IDE to make automatic changes to your strings :)

Chris
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2128

Hi Chris,
obviously you are right ;)
Started Xporter, pointed to the Vo-samples folder, run.
Started Xide, added the viproj to my projects, opened, compiled, run,
- and crashed, as i (again) forgot to copy the Cato files :evil:to my bin folder
- did this, run et voila.

Great work!

Karl
(got adventurous, thought, i might as well try to port the whole Samples folder, Xporter allowed this, but the result does not contain any app, due to the nested structure ;-(.
So, back to one to one, had a go with the AdvancedEdit sample -> smooth, cool!

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2129

Hi Karl,

Ah, good point, maybe we can make the VO exporter read nested folders as well...will have a look.

Also a small tip, in order to open the XIDE project, you can just doubleclick on the .viproj file, select XIDE.exe as the app to open it (this needs to be done only once of course) and that will just open that project, without needing to add it to the projects list.

Chris
XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2131

Chris Pyrgas wrote: Also a small tip, in order to open the XIDE project, you can just doubleclick on the .viproj file, select XIDE.exe as the app to open it (this needs to be done only once of course) and that will just open that project, without needing to add it to the projects list

Ey,cool. Never thought of this, thx!

Explorer Sample runtime error 1 year 11 months ago #2135

Hi Karl,

If this is the "Explorer Sample" I uploaded days ago, I accidentally included a TEMP folder that have the copy of all DLLs from VO redist folder. Please delete it and you can upload that samples for Chris perusal.

Thanks,

Rene
--

Rene Pajaron

• Page: