Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DBFCDX incarnations

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 3 weeks ago #1

• wriedmann
  • wriedmann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
Hi,

only for reference I will try to put together the current incarnations of the DBFCDX database I'm aware of:

- FoxPro, the original one. Latest release was 2007, current copyright holder is Microsoft. This product is officially dead.

- SuccessWare, first appeared in Clipper 5.2. Current implementation is ApolloDB, latest release January 2018. No RDD for VO, only Ado.NET and Delphi VCL. There is also a server edition, ApolloDB Server. The company seems to be alive.

- Comix, first appeared in Clipper 5.3. The original developer was Dave Kuechler, LoadStone Inc. This implementation was sold to CA and used in both VO and Vulcan.NET. There was also a server edition named Fortress and sold also by GrafX. AFAIK Dave Kuechler died several years ago.

- Codebase by Sequiter, a C/C++ library. The company is gone.

- Harbour/xHarbour. Implementation in C/C++, open source.

Wolfgang

P.S. the FlagShip people has done their own RDD DBFIDX - if you need to access DBFCDX databases from FlagShip applications you need CodeBase.
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.riedmann.it - docs.xsharp.it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #2

Hi Wolfgang,

Currently I use routines written in Clipper 5.2 recompiled in Harbour 3.0 using dbf. They are not bad.

Since the Harbour drive are open source could it be a good starting point for implementing X# drive RDD?

Fabrizio

Last edit: by Fab64.

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #3

• wriedmann
  • Away
Ciao Fabrizio,

I think the same. Since the X# drivers will be open source too, this should be possible.
I don't know the Harbour license, but I don't think it would be possible if the X# driver would be closed source.

It is a pity that most other (tested and working) implementations are dead now....

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #4

Ciao Wolfgang,

I go to memory, they should be freely editable enough to also distribute the original sources. however I think that the xHarbour / Harbor community could like to have the implementation in X # and anyway it should not be impossible to find agreements with the Harbour's developers

Fabrizio

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #5

• wriedmann
  • Away
Hello,

after doing some tests with ApolloDB in X# I sent a few questions to the producer, the first time as email, the second time from their web form.
Unfortunately, I haven't received any answer from them.

Yesterday I decided to buy a license because I needed that for a small utility. Their webshop declined both of my creditcards I tried - and again I sent them a message through their webform - and again without any answer.

Attached to this message you can find my X# application that executes a SQL select to a DBF using ApolloDB (the demo version).

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Attachments:

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #6

Wolfgang,

Maybe the sales people at Apollo went to the same marketing training that the sales staff from GrafX attended <g>.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 2 weeks ago #7

• wriedmann
  • Away
<g>
Wolfgang Riedmann

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 1 week ago #8

Maybe the sales people at Apollo went to the same marketing training that the sales staff from GrafX attended

Indeed. I remember having received an email from this 'sales staff' after multiple attempts, on a very reasonable question, with the word "I chose not to answer".

That seems to be a policy of many nowadays. On one hand companies spend millions to buy or collect customer behavior data and on marketing efforts while just keeping a customer happy by reacting promptly on questions or complaints, a much less expensive option, is far less common.

Dick

DBFCDX incarnations 9 months 1 week ago #9

• wriedmann
  • Away
Hi Dick,

this is really a pity.... for some applications this library could be interesting, but the lack of responses makes it unusable.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann

• Page: