You are welcome to participate in the XSharp newsgroups and forum.

When posting to the newsgroups and forums we ask you kindly to follow the rules that you can find here: https://www.xsharp.info/faq/39-xsharp-news-server-rules

.NET Core 3.0

• Wolfgang Riedmann
  • Wolfgang Riedmann's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 days 13 hours ago #1 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Wolfgang Riedmann created the topic: .NET Core 3.0
Hi,

finally Microsoft has announced to support GUI with .NET Core 3.0.

I had expected they would do some enhanced WPF GUI and port it also to MacOS and Linux, but they have announced to make available WinForms and WPF windows on .NET Core 3.0, and only for Windows. The good notice is that they will make available also controls from UWP to WPF and WinForms.

That means that contrarily to what I expected WinForms has a future too, saving a lot of investments.
That makes a WinForms based VO GUI classes compatible library more important than ever, and we can expect to have a long live for our ported VO applications.

Wolfgang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 days 10 hours ago - 6 days 10 hours ago #2 by Robert van der Hulst
Robert van der Hulst replied the topic: .NET Core 3.0
Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Riedmann wrote: That means that contrarily to what I expected WinForms has a future too, saving a lot of investments.
That makes a WinForms based VO GUI classes compatible library more important than ever, and we can expect to have a long live for our ported VO applications.

Exactly what I thought when I heard this !

Robert

XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 6 days 10 hours ago by Robert van der Hulst.

More
5 days 12 hours ago #3 by Rene J. Pajaron
Rene J. Pajaron replied the topic: .NET Core 3.0
Take note also of XAML Islands.
In later Channel 9 talks, Scott Hunter clarifies that WinForms/WPF support for .NET Core 3 may branded as desktop package or something. WinForms uses a lot of Windows API; and WPF also users DX9. Both are missing on .NET Core as of this moment. So, when this got ported.

I love it and keep me up all night just to watch everything on .NET, C#, ASP.NET.

.NET Core 3 support for Desktop Apps may be the beginning of the end of Windows only desktop .NET apps.

Take a peek on both videos. Scott Hunter mention something about I mention above.

--

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron

More
5 days 10 hours ago #4 by Rene J. Pajaron
Rene J. Pajaron replied the topic: .NET Core 3.0

Rene J. Pajaron wrote: Take note also of XAML Islands.
In later Channel 9 talks, Scott Hunter clarifies that WinForms/WPF support for .NET Core 3 may branded as desktop package or something. WinForms uses a lot of Windows API; and WPF also users DX9. Both are missing on .NET Core as of this moment. So, when this got ported.

I love it and keep me up all night just to watch everything on .NET, C#, ASP.NET.

.NET Core 3 support for Desktop Apps may be the beginning of the end of Windows only desktop .NET apps.

Take a peek on both videos. Scott Hunter mention something about I mention above.

--

If I heard it right, it is subject for .NET and C# management team to decide whether to support .NET Core 3 desktop apps for Mac and Linux. There are possibilities, regardless, at least, .NET Core desktop apps is really possible outside of UWP. At this point, what is clearer that it will remain within Windows ecosystem which I believe is notch below than being great.

Rene

--

Rene Pajaron

• Wolfgang Riedmann
  • Wolfgang Riedmann's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 days 9 hours ago #5 by Wolfgang Riedmann
Wolfgang Riedmann replied the topic: .NET Core 3.0
Hi Rene,

IMHO the most important notice for us that we have tons of legacy code is that our applications can continue to live under the .NET Framework.

If you need a cross platform GUI framework, look at Avalonia:

http://avaloniaui.net/

Wolfgang