Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: XBase -> X#: What value is added to my software

XBase -> X#: What value is added to my software 4 months 3 days ago #7764

lumberjack's Avatar Topic Author lumberjack Offline Posts: 491
Hi all,
In a VFP forum (leafe.com ProFox) a recent post and I quote:

Hi all,
I was asked for a list of current options for someone who has a VFP application and wants to migrate it to a supported language, with the least amount of re-work.
I have seen many options listed, but am sure how compatible the various alternatives are. X# looks promising, but so do some of the others. And some that I thought were good options now appear to be dormant or discontinued. So I thought I would check with you fine folks to see if you know where I might find a list of current alternatives and their level of compatibility.

None of the responses really showed why XYZ is better or not, it got hacked into a moan and groan session, why you want to change etc. You will benefit nothing, just lots and lots of frustrations...

I drafted a list as a response to have something available, if I was asked the question: What benefit does X# bring to the table if I convert from VFP/XBase/(dare I add c#) to X#? A list that we can add to. Here is what I came up with:
  1. A great DevTeam having a passion and knowledge of XBase
  2. Can do everything c# does and more in a XBase syntax, no {}
  3. Lazy as well as strict type variable declaration // We can pick up errors due to lazy declaration at compile time, not runtime. We debug quicker.
  4. Our strict typed code will run exponentially faster.
  5. It brings the power of the macro compiler and codeblock as features to VFP, previously only exclusively available to the Clipper fork of XBase.
  6. We have a pre-compiler that we can extend the language with include files the #command builder
  7. We have native support for .NET arrays
  8. We have native support for WFP, WCF, Entity Framework, webservices, window services, everything available in .NET is natively supported in X#
  9. We can create generic classes CLASS MyGeneric<T> INHERIT .... IMPLEMENT .....
  10. We can consume generic classes VAR sl := SortedList<STRING>{}
  11. Native support for FUNCTIONS and PROCEDURES the first .NET compiler allowing this
  12. We can have GLOBAL, STATIC GLOBAL, PUBLIC, MEMVAR, LOCAL DEFINES, STATIC LOCAL variables, again some of these was only available in XBase, it is now a new .NET feature.
  13. We have NAMESPACES now. We can group our code in an ordered way putting them in namespaces
  14. We can have scoped blocks, same as {} in c# defined in X# as BEGIN SCOPE / END SCOPE. We don't explicitly have to RELEASE MEMVARS, the Garbage Collector (GC) does it for us using BEGIN SCOPE / END SCOPE etc.
  15. Our code run in a Safe Mode, we can put Unsafe on when needed, the GC of .NET does the work for us.
  16. We have native support for calls into the Win32 API etc.
  17. The whole .NET framework is opensource. ILSpy can decompile anythng that is not Obfusicated... I can see c# code as if it was written in X#.
  18. I can take a compiled c#, VB.NET assembly and create a VS solution in X# code.
  19. A compiler that sits on top and is almost embedded in c#
  20. We can happily sync X# to ride the c# wave. Up to date of what is available in c#
  21. What are the chances that MS announce "We discontinue c# development", very unlikely. c# brought "c" to the every day programmer. X# brings c# to the XBase community in a XBase style syntax
  22. How much more do I have to list?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: