fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your code snippets, screen shots etc. here
  • Page:

TOPIC: NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ?

NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ? 2 years 3 months ago #1344

Phil Hepburn's Avatar Topic Author Phil Hepburn Offline Posts: 742
Hi guys,

Today and yesterday I have been encouraged by Frank to get into Unit Testing with X# and Visual Studio 2017 (public release).

Well, after a bit of a fight, and much frustration, I have managed to get some positive results (a start) with C# and the simplest of test possible ;-0)

I attached the images of my first steps to success.

However, I am posting to ask you guys if anyone has managed to get the latest version of NUnit (v3) to work with X# in VS 2017. It seems to be so close to working, and does not throw any errors as such.

I also realise that Beta 10 and the VS2017 improved integration is more likely to get things working - BUT - I just wondered if anyone can help guide me with my first simple steps to TESTING.

Frank can help me with a lot but he does use XIDE and also version 2 of NUnit, with means there are things he can't solve for me.

Fingers crossed and TIA -
Cheers, and Best regards,
Phil.
Wales, UK.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ? 2 years 3 months ago #1368

Hi guys,

I have a plan, and I have made some progress.

Having talked with Frank I have decided to use the Testing framework provided within the Visual Studio IDE, as well as it Test Explorer and plugin to it.

The thinking was that if I am new to Unit Testing and VS 2017 is public and new, I may as well use the latest version of a testing framework which is designed to work 100% with VS.

I thought that I would then have the best chance of getting X# to be able to use the in-built testing, as well as maybe even going to the limits, and get the 'Live' testing to work as well. More on that ('Live') another time.

At the moment I have managed to get a small C# sample to work in VS2017 and all seems fine and OK. This in itself is not that easy and I spent ages and much frustration trying to integrate NUnit 3.6 and the other parts to integrate. Now I an up and running with Microsoft's 'flavour' of testing.

And, I have a translated version of the same small project translated to X#, and it feels that I am almost there - but something is missing. I need help from Chris and Robert, and anyone else who may be able to help - Fabrice, Nikkos ?

For tonight lets just see the C# screen capture of success - Oh! and a red fail is also a success as there was an error to find in the code.

Check these out :-

Okay - time for bed, and then tomorrow I will try and get the X# sample to work - fingers crossed,

Regards,
Phil.

NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ? 2 years 3 months ago #1369

robert's Avatar robert Offline Posts: 969
Phil,

Phil Hepburn wrote: And, I have a translated version of the same small project translated to X#, and it feels that I am almost there - but something is missing. I need help from Chris and Robert, and anyone else who may be able to help - Fabrice, Nikkos ?

I think this uses what's called "Project Flavouring" and we will have to add some guids to our project files and maybe some special properties/code to our project system.
We will look into this a.s.a.p.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ? 2 years 3 months ago #1370

robert's Avatar robert Offline Posts: 969
Phil,

Phil Hepburn wrote: And, I have a translated version of the same small project translated to X#, and it feels that I am almost there - but something is missing. I need help from Chris and Robert, and anyone else who may be able to help - Fabrice, Nikkos ?

I think this uses what's called "Project Flavouring" and we will have to add some guids to our project files and maybe some special properties/code to our project system.
We will look into this a.s.a.p.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

NUnit (testing) - any success in VS 2017 ? 2 years 3 months ago #1372

Okay Robert,

Thanks for these comments.

In that case I will wait for the required extra integration.

It would seem however, like a real bonus, or plus-point for X# in Visual Studio.

Although it has taken me a while to get around to it, Frank (the evangelist) has been right about Unit Testing for quite a few years now. At a professional and business level it is a MUST do/have.

I will do my best to get it up and running for X# in VS, and after Cologne 2017 (xBase.Future) I will start to incorporate Testing into my WPF / MVVM / EF / LINQ coding solution pattern.

Regards to all,
Phil.

P.S. out of interest, what are the 'Analysers' entries shown in the following image - they appear to have been put there by the templates I selected in C#. This was one of the few things I could not manually copy when I tried an X# solution / project.

Attachments:

• Page: